Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Garden Disappointment...

Seriously. I can keep the house plants healthy like nobody's business (with the exception of orchids, which we won't discuss today) but the garden just a few feet away is a completely different story. Some of you may remember my tiny broccoli post from last year? Well this year I thought...okay I'll plant 10 broccoli starts & for sure I will have TONS of broccoli. Wrong. Below you will see my teeny tiny poor excuse for broccoli & throughout the summer the progress has been about the same. I think I've eaten three (yes, count them three) broccoli sprouts from my 9 plants that survived. Brother.

My other complaint is against my cucumbers. As you can see in the photo below...I have the worlds smallest cucs too. And not lots of them like everyone said...only two. (That's five vegetables total for those keeping track).

The strawberries I have to say are doing okay. I got a handful of them earlier this summer & noticed today that I have another little blessed berry growing. Although not too much praise for this plant either as it took three years for it to bear any fruit at all.

And last but not least is my tomato plant. This year we have two plants. One plant has actually given us five tomatoes to date with the promise of many more. The other plant is ignoring me. All of it's tomatoes are green, green, green with no promise of ever turning red.

Oh little little garden, what shall I do with you? See case(s) & point(s) below:

Cucumber smaller than my finger at the END of summer...


The record holder for the world's smallest & least productive broccoli plants...


Strawberry, not bad for end of summer, I'll take it...

Tomato plant with lots of potential...my only garden hope
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh that's so sad. I won't even tell you how many cucumbers and tomatoes Mike & the boys brought in tonight but let me just say you could have as many as you wanted if you were closer. Have you tried Miracle-Gro?

Melissa said...

Okay, that is really kinda pathetic. Sorry to say it, but it is. Do you water your garden? =) I won't show you pictures of my garden or you'll have serious garden envy. You can stop by and get some of our tomatoes if you want. We have way too many!

Anonymous said...

Alas - all is not lost! I'm calling you later to tell you what I think!

Smooches,
N

Bethany said...

Oh goodness! I'll be starting my first garden next year. At least you'll have a bit of "what not to do" advice :)

Erin said...

ok, there is really no complaining...you should see my garden...um dead, burned, over run with that darn mint....plants do not so much like 110 degrees!

did you check out that anonymous poster....you drew her out with this garden talk....I'm still working on her....

Erin said...

have you seen my husband?

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

Really, really sad ... I don't think I have words for this one ... :P