Sunday, May 20, 2007

Flowers Make Me Smile

This weekend has been filled with flowers. I love flowers, they warm my heart.

Thursday night I gave my final 'big' performance at school for the year. It involved almost 150 2nd graders. We presented our program two times that day, which makes for a very tired, but happy music teacher. The kids were adorable & did all of their actions, songs, & solos just right. At the end of the performance, they brought me a beautiful bouquet of flowers - but more on those in a moment.

Yesterday morning after a delicious trip to Starbucks & Great Harvest Bread Co., we went to the Saturday Market. I was eyeing some flowers & decided it was a perfect way to relax from a hectic week. So I purchased 6 Gerbera Daisy plants, (my absolute fav!!) 2 Geraniums, 6 Petunia Waves, 2 Tomato plants, & a small Boxwood bush for the side yard.

After 6 hours in the yard of weeding (front & back), planting (I already had 4 flowers at home waiting to also be planted), digging up the side yard area - a smaller area that was a complete mess, & planting tomato plants in the backyard garden, I was finished. Here are some pictures of the finished product. Of course, it looks better in person - so if you want to come by...
We are planning to have 'the bark man' come sometime in the next two weeks - then our yard will be officially ready for summer!! 17 days & counting...

New & improved Front Yard


These are the flowers my students & their teachers gave me at the end of the performance on Thursday. Friday, I had two of the classes involved in the performances & they had made me thank you cards. One of the cards simply said "Dear Mrs. A..., I love you. Love, Emma" How sweet is that? It melts my heart. :)

Some of the cards were a little more difficult to interpret, but hey, it's the thought that counts, right?!

Look! It's another Gerbera...
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Jessie,
You are such a phenomenal music teacher! I was so incredibly impressed with the 2nd grade performance Thursday night! I am so glad that Kathryn has such a wonderful music teacher!

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

Yea for flowers! They so make me smile too ;). In fact I keep hinting to Matt that the 24 roses you can get at Costco for $15 would be a wonderful "treat" now and then ;).

I'll have to put up pictures of my hanging pots and my newly planted terra cotta pots ... I took pictures just for you!

So happy another "big event" is down ... you're in the final stretch!

Love you!

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

Seriously ... can I just say I can't stand your word verification? It has taken me three tries to post ...

Clearly at 9:15AM I can't decipher letters that are distorted, pushed together and totally wonky!

So there :P.

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous! Gerberas are my fav too you know! I did get surprised with 2 dozen roses from Shawn on Fri. They came from Costco, as in Andrea's post!

Kelly said...

Very pretty Jessie! We just planted a bunch of flowers in the last week or so. A big pot of daisies too!
About the flowers from Costco...Mike sometimes thinks about it but I've learned to just pick them up myself and tell him he bought them for me. It's easier on both of us!

Anonymous said...

Dear Princess JessiePants, DING! Fine, fine, fine. Here's your silly ole comment. Since I just left something on Andrea's blog I know I'd NEVER hear the end of it if I didn't leave you a note too. My friends are so high-maintenance. Sheesh!

Bethany said...

You lukcy girl... I'll bet flower are gardening are easier with all that lovely Oregon rain. I'm jealous of all that beautiful green. I need to get my butt in gear and start planting my pots :)