Saturday, November 18, 2006

Christmas Cactus

Three years ago, one of my students gave me a Christmas Cactus plant in memory of my grandma who had just passed away. I remember crying every time I looked at the plant for the first week I had it. The students' gesture was almost more than I could handle at the time. When she gave it to me, it was just a small stalk with a couple of flowers on it.

Over the next year, I watered it often & hoped that it would bloom. It did not.

Then last year, after finding a new pot for it's home and a window sill to sit in, it bloomed. I was THRILLED!! After it finished blooming, it bloomed again, then again! (I think it was making up for lost time...).

Just a week or so ago, it started again. I love this plant, as it represents something very special to me. I can't get over how beautiful it is when it blooms. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kim said...

That is really the best story ever. How great to have something so beautiful to remember your grama by.

You were wondering about my post settings. Under Settings and then under Formatting, the first option is "Show". That's how you change how your posts are set up. :)

Kelly said...

Wow. What a wonderful thing to have to remember your Grandma.

Bethany said...

Watch out! Those things will get HUGE! I guess it has to match how much you loved your grandma :)

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

Very sweet ... what a beautiful reminder to you! Love you!