Sunday, April 01, 2007

The Price Is Right Story...

As many of you know, I'm a bit of a Price Is Right nut. Even as a child I've loved this game show. For my bridal shower - Erin, Andrea, Nicole, & Laura threw me a 'The Bride Is Right' shower. We played TPIR games, including 'Groomhanger' a take on my favorite game 'Cliffhanger', Plinko with a homemade Plinko board (thank you Bill & Lindsey) & even had showcases to bid on. Wow.

This birthday bash included a trip to TPIR, something I've been wanting to do with Tim since we got engaged. This was not my first time to TPIR, right Erin?! :) In college, Erin & I flew to Burbank for 1 day to see the show & the morning we showed up, it was canceled because Bob was sick. A few weeks later, Dwayne, Stacie, & I went and got to see it. I still think it was SO nice of them to take me to the show - they knew how much I wanted to go. (I think Erin was glad that she got out of it that time too). :)

But not this time...Erin was involved in every minute of it this time & it proved to be a most interesting day. Here's how the day went:

3:00 am - Alarm goes off - everybody up
3:45 am - We find our way to the car pile in and away we go
4:30 am - Arrive at CBS studios - get in line
4:30 - 6:00 am - Freeze as we wait in the growing line
6:00 am - Get our temporary number. We were #'s 242-245 (the studio only holds 330)
6:00-7:20 - Freeze while we still wait outside
7:20-8:45 - Get our 'real' number & wait...still outside with the wind blowing
8:45-9:50 - We leave to go get breakfast & a video game for Shawn
9:55-2:00 - We wait...outside...with the wind...with not much to do as we can't have our bags,
cell phones, cameras, or anything really with us...
2:00 - 2:30 - We finally enter the studio - it's FREEZING in there...are you kidding me?!?
2:30-3:30 - Taping of the show. I keep waiting to hear my name - but alas, they don't call. Again, are you kidding me?!?
3:30-4:00 pm - Finally we get some lunch
4:00-6:00 pm - Travel back to the hotel with everyone else in LA
6:00-7:30 pm - Nap
7:30-9:30 pm - Dinner & debriefing with Dwayne & Stacie
9:30 pm - Vow never again to go to The Price Is Right

So there you have it - a time line of our day. If it hadn't been SO cold that day, it would have been better - the wind blowing constantly didn't help matters either. Tim read the night before we went that due to Bob's retirement people begin lining up at 5:00 pm the day before tapings. Tim offered to go spend the night in the line so we could be sure we'd get in that day - 1 milllion points for him. Thankfully, he didn't end up doing that, we got up at 3:00 am instead. :) I'm pleased to announce that I officially have The Price Is Right out of my system. I will still watch the show, but I have no desire to get involved in that craziness again. 150 people spent the night in line the day that we went. 4 of them were called down to be on the show - I guess I'm just not that big of a fan...




Tim, Jessie, & Erin after the taping (notice the wind is STILL blowing...)


Me showing off the t-shirt that Erin & Tim made for us -
isn't it cute?! I love it.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow what a great trip! How fun! Totally jealous of Disneyland of course!
I hear you on the wind. I HATE the wind. I'd rather be out in the rain or snow or anything but wind. Yuck. Glad you still had fun though. Just last week I heard about Bob Barker retiring and people spending the night in line. I wondered if you guys would be doing that. :) Although getting up at 3am still sounds a little crazy! :)

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

Well, gee, hundreds of dollars later only to find out it's out of your system?!? Well, I guess that is money well spent then ... LOL ... cheaper than the years of therapy to get it out of your system. So sorry you didn't win that brass dining room set you've had your eye on and you know I needed some new mattresses ... oh well. At least you have a cute shirt!! ;).

Happy Monday ... Back to Reality!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I think you didn't mention enough about how FREEZING it was! Couldn't feel my fingers and toes for 14 hours freezing!!!!! You also forgot to mention how they kidnapped my husband for 2 hours....
Thank goodness this is out of your system, because I think you used up your "we'll be good sports becuase Jessie loves this quota" for awhile! We had fun, but never want to do it again!

Bethany said...

Yeah & Yuck!

Yuck... the wind, the cold wind, the wait... no fun :(

Yeah... at least after the wait and the wind you got to watch the show. But, I must say that I was looking forward to having a famous friend. My dreams are now shattered... ok wait... it's out of my system now :)

Anonymous said...

I always THOUGHT I wanted to go to TPIR. Sounds like...an adventure you only do once :)